Bishop Stang opened its doors in 1959 as the first coeducational Catholic secondary school in the Diocese of Fall River, founded by Bishop James Louis Connolly, who established four Catholic high schools across the diocese during his tenure. Its original faculty were members of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, and the school's mission still draws on that order's founding charism — service, integrity, and educating students of every background.
The school takes its name from William Stang, the first Bishop of the Diocese of Fall River, who served from 1904 until his death in 1907. German-born and multilingual, Stang established 11 parishes and founded St. Anne's Hospital during his short but active tenure — a legacy the school carries into its own long-running commitment to community and service more than a century later.